18 gennaio, 2007

LIES, LIES, LIES

[TimesOnline.co.uk] The least of the accusations against Andriy Shevchenko in recent days is that, at a record £30.8 million, he is a waste of money. He has been called a dressing-room snitch, a destabilising influence and the cause of the political infighting that is undermining Chelsea, but in an interview with The Times last night, the Ukraine forward began his fightback. «I am being made a scapegoat for things that have nothing to do with me» he said. Shevchenko’s frustration at his lack of goals — three in 20 Barclays Premiership appearances — is nothing compared with his unhappiness at all the off-field rumours, including the suggestion that he is protected at Stamford Bridge by the patronage of Roman Abramovich. After such a trying baptism in England, it would be understandable if he was to decide that he has had enough and headed back to the familiar surroundings of Serie A, but Shevchenko insists that he will stay at Chelsea, despite the traumas of the past six months. «My contract runs for four years [until 2010]» he said. «I am here now and I am staying here. I am continuing to work to fit inside the team. I have been attacked from all sides but I intend to carry on. I will grit my teeth. I am not a quitter. I just want to be kept out of the politics».

Shevchenko can hardly deny that Abramovich was the driving force behind his move last summer from the San Siro to Stamford Bridge, but Mourinho approved the purchase and the Ukraine striker is particularly hurt by the suggestion that he seeks favours, or acts as the dressing-room eyes and ears of the Chelsea owner. «Those rumours are all lies» he said. «A lot of things have been said which aren’t true. They have caused a lot of hurt to myself and my family. I am a footballer, not a politician. My job is to play, that’s all. It is what I’ve been doing since I was nine years old. People are crossing the limits in what they are saying about me. It is bull***t».

There were further allegations from Italy this week that Shevchenko had proposed the recruitment of Carlo Ancelotti, the coach of AC Milan, in place of José Mourinho but the striker is adamant that he has no communication with Abramovich beyond that of the rest of his team-mates. «There are things written about my relationship with Roman Abramovich which have been overexaggerated» he said. «My relationship with him is the same as every other player. He’s the president and I am a player — it is entirely professional. I see Abramovich in the dressing-room sometimes or occasionally at training. We might have a quick word with each other but that is natural as we both speak Russian. Maybe I shouldn’t speak Russian. Maybe that gives people the wrong idea».

The idea that Shevchenko is one of the main causes of conflict between Abramovich and Mourinho, who have fallen out to the extent that the manager looks certain to depart this summer, grew in strength when the Chelsea owner suggested hiring Avram Grant, the director of football at Portsmouth. Abramovich believes that Grant can help Shevchenko to find his best form but Mourinho regarded the proposal as unwelcome interference. It is just another example of the boardroom politics that Shevchenko is desperate to avoid. «Avram Grant? I know who he is but I don’t know him» he said. «I only know that he was coach of Israel, but it doesn’t concern me if he comes or does not come. This is a decision the club makes. I am just here to play. It is hard when you are thrown in the middle of everything».

Shevchenko is fit to line up against Liverpool on Saturday as the champions attempt to cut the six-point deficit on Manchester United but has no idea whether he will start. He has been left on the substitutes’ bench in recent matches but claims to accept Mourinho’s decision. «If he decides I am not capable, I just have to work harder,” the striker said. «It doesn’t matter what I think».

Nessun commento: